Category Archives: Dewan Minutes

SGS Dewan Minutes

Dewan Minutes October 6 2018

Subud Pacific Northwest – Greater Seattle Center

Dewan Minutes October 6, 2018

Attendees:  Jim O’Halloran (Acting Chair), Sherwin O’Bar (Treasurer), Leandra Hildreth (Secretary), Marston Gregory (Facilities), Devora Machado-Santos (Housekeeping), Paul Nelson (Rental Agent.)  Call to Order 10:19am. after Latihan

Jim mentions that he is acting Chair, as Honora Hildreth will not be available for Subud activities for the time being.

Financial Report:

$317 in red for 2018 The decision to payoff the SPNW loan with a $2,157 payment in June is a factor in this situation. We will pay off $2,157 in SPNW loans this year.  $6,562 is still due to SUSA  We will also pay off $1,717 in property insurance for 2018-2019.  Roughly 53% of the building is now taxable.  This will not be retroactive, so currently we have no previous tax liability.  In 2019 there will be an estimated $3,000-4,000 in estimated taxes due to business activities.  Property taxes are due in April and October. We can view tax liability online and Jim suggests referring to that when we create the 2019 budget.  Property insurance will be terminated at the end of June 2019 due to Airbnb activities.  This is currently covered by SUBUD PNW.   Seattle’s share is approximately $3,400.   SGS has paid half so far we will pay the remainder of approximately $1717 by concurrence of the committee.  We do have to file a general income tax for 2017 due to Airbnb and we get an extension in May.  We will report a several thousand dollar loss, which we need to report in the event of the possibility of future profitable years. We should also pay insurance in 2018, so as to further help our tax situation.   We are seeking a new treasurer so Sherwin is not wearing the SPNW and SGS hats.  This was discussed informally after the conclusion of the meeting, and is still pending.

Airbnb report:

Rentals are down 2.6% from last year, this is due to a high record last year in September of $9,933.  Airbnb revenues including all current October reservations is $66,620. October 2018 will likely exceed revenues of October 2017.  2019: New regulations will cap new Airbnb businesses. May work in our favor, may not. Unless we do something about capacity we will stay low.

House report:

Staining of disabled ramp:  Leandra.  Leandra intends to do it this coming Saturday after projected good weather Thursday and Friday.  She would like to be paid, and expects the total to be under $200.00

2019 house budget:

  • Painting:  Owl Painting will be submitting a new bid on this job.  His bid and work is so good I would go with him.  Other bids I got were much higher.  He has said he has found a new paint which he feels will work much better.  We will need to borrow money to do painting.  Need color scheme. From Insiah with 3 options. Marston will contact Insiah.  Possible house expansion: to open up attic to airbnb for additional rev. 2 or 3 years out. to add a shower to the building.  Need Blinds in living room.  Ok to delay.  Downstairs kitchen counter top. Ok to delay.

Insulation bid: The previous bid was $3700, and had an estimated return on investment of 8% per year.  However, the wiring above the rooms would have to be converted from the current knob and post-so the expense for that would reduce the return.  Maybe something for 2019 or 2020. Any changes that we make to the building must be reviewed in the tax status.

Childcare and testing results:

Once a month could be helpful. Right now is not needed. Refocus this energy. Kids are welcome at our upcoming dinner.  Childcare would need to be off site if during latihan.

Upcoming events:

Susila Dharma Dinner: Suggested donation.  Are kids at the same price point? Budgeted for 20-25 people right now.  Need: ask about childcare.  Rsvp by the 19th

Winter holiday get together: Hosted by Hadijah o’Bar.

Time: sundays are ok. potluck style.

SUBUD Ladies lunch: hosted by Hadijah O’Bar. Time: Lunch time ok.

New Business:

No helper report

No helpers were present by the time we got to this.  Lucinda mentioned earlier that the helpers have received the SUSA census, have distributed it, and the Women will get together soon to work on their part of it.  Marston mentioned that there seems to be a shortage of Women helpers-Hadijah Gregory has been meeting with an applicant as the current active helpers are overextended.  Debbie Santos would like to test as an applicant helper.

In need of women helpers. We need to recruit some candidate helpers.

Action:

Next SPNW meeting line of credit for next year at 10,000.

Next dewan meeting

 Saturday November 3rd 10AM

Next general meeting

 Sunday November 4th after Latihan (in Seattle).

Annual Meeting

 Sunday January 27 after Latihan

Dewan Meeting Minutes, June 23, 2018 Subud Greater Seattle

Below are partial meeting minutes provided by Jim O’Halloran, for the June 23, 2018, Dewan meeting for Subud Greater Seattle:

Jim’s partial minutes and to do list

Meeting called to order 9:30AM after Latihan, without a quorum as chair and secretary had not yet arrived.  A quorum was achieved about 9:45 when Honora and Leandra arrived.
Initial attendees:
Oswald Norton, Marston Gregory, Sherwin O’Bar, Jim O’Halloran, Debbie Santos-Machado, Halstein Stralberg, Paul Nelson, and Lucinda O’Halloran.
Old Business:
Unable to review previous minutes as they were unavailable.  Leandra said she will be sending them out.
Paul noted that the minutes have not been getting posted to the website.
Financial report:
We have a shrinking deficit.  The report from Virgil Woodfield the nonprofit CPA was discussed; and a discussion regarding our tax status ensued.  When Honora and Leandra arrived, the financial report was approved.
A motion was made, seconded, discussed, and approved to pay off the balance of our loan to SPNW, which is currently $2167.  This is the amount estimated for our basement kitchen remodel which it was decided to defer as our rental business is currently very low.
A motion was made, seconded, discussed, and approved to double our loan payment to SUSA.
Sherwin has paid Virgil Woodfield for our nonprofit recommendations.
Liberty Mutual will not insure SPNW with our Air BnB business-we will have to find another carrier.  The current policy will expire in 7-1-2019.  Jim will contact DiFranco Insurance.  Marston suggested Church mutual insurance Co.  Paul mentioned that Air BnB has a $1 million policy.
Sherwin was asked if he would like to have someone else do SGS books-he would be OK with that so he can concentrate on SPNW and also not have a conflict.  It was agreed to seek a replacement.  Sherwin started to estimate how much time was involved, but Jim interrupted him (Sorry!).
Financial report was approved.
Spring Street Center Report:  All projects except kitchen remodel completed, kitchen remodel deferred as currently no rental business.  Not sure if this was approved.
Debbie gave rental report.  Very slow.  Not sure if this was approved.
Childcare:  Jim contacted Daniel Stralberg, Lambert, and Raphael, hearing back only from Daniel.  Daniel indicated that right now they are pretty well set up, but it sounds like a great idea.  Marston said that Haridas and Trisha Singh along with their two sons will be moving to Redmond soon!  They may benefit from childcare also.
Helpers, please test regarding children in house, and whatever issues come up in testing.
Marston suggested having a monthly family event.  Honora and others are enthusiastic about this idea; and Honora suggested we have an event coordinator as our follow-through on events has been very poor.
TO DO ITEMS:
Post minutes to website
insurance follow-up: Jim, Marston, anyone else—
Childcare:  Jim contact K. T.  Niehoff, Leandra needs someone to partner with on childcare Helpers need to test regarding childcare
Schedule future meetings, at appropriate times & days
Find an events coordinator
SGS bookkeeper
OK, that’s what I have before I had to leave-apologies for not staying, I had not written something else in my calendar and it was not moveable.
Thanks, everyone!
Love, Jim

Subud GS General Meeting Minutes, March 9, 2018

General Member Meeting Minutes 3/9/2018, Bellevue, WA

Attendees: Elisha, Danella, Aakarsh, Rachman, Ida, Ramon, Halstien, Marston, Lucinda, and Hadijah.

SGS Elected Committee: Honora Hildreth, Jim O’Halloran, Sherwin O’Bar, and Leandra Hildreth

Previous General Meeting minutes read and approved.

Financial Report:

Total outflows are currently $3,982.

It is not uncommon to be behind in the beginning of the year.

Recent improvements to the house have been made

Does Airbnb revenue affect SPNW’s non profit church status?

We are consulting a lawyer.

Does Airbnb revenue generate a federal income tax liability?

Portland’s House found that they did not owe any federal income tax with Airbnb.

Do we need to pay County property tax?

The committee is consulting a lawyer.

If we are found liable we will go to the SPNW Regional board for further action.

Airbnb:

January and February are record breaking numbers for Airbnb revenue. This is due to two long term rentals during January and February of this year.

House:

This year the committee approved a budget of 7,500 for house repairs.

Blinds have been installed

New carpet on the stairs has been installed

New brochures are being made for both SGS and The Spring Street Center

SGS Event ideas:

kejiwaan or events that can involve kids and friends of members.

Donations at door to raise money for house and member travel.

Open mic nights Honora

Movie Night -Marston

Game Night -Ramon

Raised garden bed in front of house -Leandra

Action Items:

Committee consults a lawyer for tax questions.

Questions stated above.

Helpers to look over SGS brochure and update content and layout.

Men and women helpers to schedule more meetings.

 

 

 

 

General Meeting Minutes March 9, 2018

The most recent general meeting for Subud Greater Seattle was held in Bellevue. Leandra Hildreth took the minutes:

General Member Meeting Minutes 3/9/2018

Attendees: Elisha, Danella, Aakarsh, Rachman, Ida, Ramon, Halstien, Marston, Lucinda, and Hadijah.

SGS Elected Committee: Honora Hildreth, Jim O’Halloran, Sherwin O’Bar, and Leandra Hildreth

Previous General Meeting minutes read and approved.

Financial Report:

Total outflows are currently $-3,982.

It is not uncommon to be behind in the beginning of the year.

Recent improvements to the house have been made

Does Airbnb revenue affect SPNW’s non profit church status?

We are consulting a lawyer.

Does Airbnb revenue generate a federal income tax liability?

Portland’s House found that they did not owe any federal income tax with Airbnb.

Do we need to pay County property tax?

The committee is consulting a lawyer.

If we are found liable we will go to the SPNW Regional board for further action.

Airbnb:

February and March are record breaking numbers for Airbnb revenue. This is due to two long term rentals during January and February of this year.

House:

This year the committee approved a budget of 7,500 for house repairs.

Blinds have been installed

New carpet on the stairs has been installed

New brochures are being made for both SGS and The Spring Street Center

SGS Event ideas:

Kejiwaan or events that can involve kids and friends of members.

Donations at door to raise money for house and member travel.

Open mic nights Honora

Movie Night -Marston

Game Night -Ramon

Raised garden bed in front of house -Leandra

Action Items:

Committee consults a lawyer for tax questions.

Questions stated above.

Helpers to look over SGS brochure and update content and layout.

Men and women helpers to schedule more meetings.

 

 

 

 

 

Dewan Meeting Minutes July 23, 2017

SUBUD GREATER SEATTLE COMMITTEE MINUTES                                                 July 23, 2017

ATTENDEES: Honora Hildreth, Jim O’Halloran, Hadiyah Carlyle, Marston Gregory (ex-officio).

Minutes from June 25, 2017 were approved unanimously.

FINANCIAL: Sherwin had an unexpected emergency so could not attend.

OLD BUSINESS:

Honora is working to coordinate the calendar and is in touch with Hadijah O’Bar, helper.

The Volunteer Celebration is planned for Oct 15, 2017. Lorraine has sent a letter outlining this celebration: the purpose of this event is to celebrate our history as a group and the many people who have contributed to the functioning of our group. The following have agreed to be responsible for designated tasks: Overall coordination – Lorraine. Inspiration, vision, and invitations – Hadiyah. Food – Debbie, Clean Up – Jim.

We discussed the cost and propose a $15 donation per person; no one will be left out if they can’t contribute.

Marston submitted a letter outlining recent projects (see last month’s SGS newsletter). His updates about current and future projects are very helpful.

A Regional Helper visit is planned for September 2017, but a firm date has not been set yet for this visit. Honora will arrange for the visit.

The results of the dewan testing on harmony and communication were not available. There were no helpers present to present them, so we tabled this for next month.

NEW BUSINESS:

Honora will talk to Oswald about setting up an SGS Meeting on the East side. Either Sept. 8 or Sept. 15 has been designated for the meeting to focus on communication and member updates.

A plan has been worked out for the regional monthly phone meeting. Jim will be back up to Honora.

Jim brought up the lack of active helpers at this meeting, and the frequent absence of men helpers in all the Dewan meetings. To encourage participation, Honora will email all the helpers with the dates of the meetings.

Future Meetings: the next Dewan Latihan will be Aug. 6 at 10:00 am. The next Dewan meeting will be at 9:30 on Aug. 20.

Respectfully submitted

Hadiyah Carlyle, Secretary

Dewan Meeting Minutes April 9, 2017

SUBUD GREATER SEATTLE DEWAN MINUTES

April 9, 2017

ATTENDEES: Honora Hildreth, Jim O’Halloran, Sherwin O’Bar, Lorraine Tedrow, Marston Gregory, Debbie Machado- Santos, Hadiyah Carlyle

Minutes from March 5, 2017 unanimously approved.

FINANCIALS: Sherwin reported

Revenue: $16,088 (including member donations of $3900 and Airbnb of $11,963.

Expenses: $28,734 (rental expense of $10,600 and house improvements/occupancy cost of $15,014 of which about $10,000 represents full payment for the sewer line rework).

Excess of Expense over Revenue: $12,646.

COMMUNICATIONS:

We discussed having better communications through email and txt. Listserver to be setup for just committee members. The emails should be reformatted and start anew, not tag onto old emails. It gets too confusing this way.

In case of emergency, we were asked to call or txt Honora or Sherwin.

Honora brought up the issue of disconnect on communication with Subud members. She said it is a goal of hers to work on this.

The end of August the region is sponsoring the Great Create, which takes the place of Family Camp. It will be at Pilgrim’s Fir Camp in Pt. Orchard. Honora talked about her fond memories of Family Camp as a child and hope to create another memorable place at Pilgrim’s Fir.

NEW BUSINESS

Spring St Center: Jim reported for Paul as he is out of town. We have the highest rating with AirBnB as superhosts. It’s an honor as it’s not easy to get that designation. We have increased sales substantially. For example, in March, 2017 Spring St Center brought in $5,959.00. In 2016, we brought in $2,325.00 for March.

Marston also commented that the center now has a great staff and things work well. Yea!

Subud House Survey: Marston went over the survey that he filled out on our house with the committee. There were some minor changes. Marston will submit it.

Earth Day: In honor of Earth Day, on Sat April 22 and Sunday April 23 we will work on the outside of the building, weeding, planting etc. There is detailed information on our website. PLEASE COME!! WE NEED VOLUNTEERS.

Rehab projects for the year: Marston submitted a wish list of projects that need to be done to keep the house in good shape. We will go over them, prioritize, and see what we can do. We are trying not to spend money as the sewer repair took a big chunk out of our income.

Future Events: We are having a party honoring all the volunteers that have worked for Subud all these years on Sunday May 21st after latihan. It’s a potluck lunch with great food. Please put this date on your calendar – it’s special. We hope to have members in the region come.

Next dewan meeting: Also, Sunday May 21 9:00 am

Dewan is planning a general meeting to let members know what we are doing. Date to be set soon.

National Congress is in Maryland this year in a great location. Registration is open.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Hadiyah Carlyle, Sec’y

 

 

SUBUD GREATER SEATTLE DEWAN MINUTES 3/5/17

SUBUD GREATER SEATTLE DEWAN MINUTES

March 5, 2017

ATTENDEES: Jim O’Halloran, Hadijah and Sherwin O’Bar, Lorraine Tedrow, Hadiyah Carlyle. Jim, Vice-chair ran the meeting.

Minutes from Jan 22, 2017 unanimously approved

FINANCIAL: Sherwin reported the following: Revenue $8,850 (including member donations of $2,458 and Airbnb of $56,167) and Expenses $19,358 (rental expense of $7,494 and house improvements/occupancy costs of $9,784 of which $6,600 represents 2/3 payment for the sewer line rework. Excess of Expense over Revenue: $10,508.

SPRING STREET CENTER:

Contracts

The contracts for both the providers of Airbnb and other rentals have been worked on in depth. Honora is putting the finishing touches on them and we are expecting them ready to be signed next Sunday.

Airbnb – The dewan is asking Paul to include in his report next month any issues with Airbnb and the City of Seattle and bring us up to date with who he is in touch with.

Pacific Northwest Region

Sherwin reported on the Regional Board meeting. Honora attended also. The Pacific Northwest Region will be sending a 10% increase to SUSA. There are changes in the regional budget including $3000 worth more of expenses. There is money in the regional fund so if the region has to they can access this money.

Marius Hibbard is now regional vice-chair.

The region is sponsoring a Great Create Art Camp at Pilgrim Firs in the Kitsap Peninsula at the end of August. This will replace Family Camp in Indianola. We are encouraging people to participate and feel their creative energy.

We discussed increasing our commitment to the regional. We will continue the discussion at the next meeting.

Helpers Reports

Hadijah O’Bar is helper of the month. The helpers opened a new member, Sophy Hildreth. Her family was present for the opening, which was a blessing for all. Hadijah said that there is a issue with the helpers communicating with each other and will work on it.

Halstein reported that Sebastian and Abideen tested positive to be helpers again.

Halstein will contact T Chuol who has been an applicant for a long time.

HISTORY OF SEATTLE – PARTY

The Dewan is planning a party celebrating the history of Seattle either May 21 or close to Bapak’s birthday in June, maybe June 28. Will be a fun event with lots of good food.

Next meeting: Either April 2 or 9. Lorraine will discuss dates with Honora.

Respectfully submitted

Hadiyah Carlyle, Sec’y

 

 

SGS Annual Meeting Minutes

Subud Greater Seattle Annual Meeting                                           January 29, 2017

Attendees: Oswald Norton, Halstein Stralberg, Hadijah and Sherwin O’Bar, Elisha Gullixson, Danella Mauguin , Alexa Wichert, Bakti Watts, Paul Nelson, Hariana Chilstrom, Ramon Hildreth, Honora, Leandra, and Sophy HIldreth, Debbie M. Santos, Insiah Caspers, Lorraine and Raphael Tedrow, Jim and Lucinda O’Halloran, Hadiyah Carlyle.

 

To put a context to the upcoming election of officers, Oswald spoke about the role of the committee and what makes a good chair, vice-chair, and member-at-large.

Nominations and testing for each elected position began.

The helpers asked the following questions:

  1. Does……have the talent and capacity to do the job for the coming term?
  2. How is it for the group?
  3. How is it for……….if she or he serves at this time?

Chair nominations: Honora Hildreth, Hadiyah Carlyle, Hariana Chilstrom. Hariana withdrew. Honora was unanimously elected after the testing.

Vice-chair nominations: Lucinda O’Halloran, Jim O’Halloran, Hadiyah Carlyle. Hadiyah withdrew. Jim was elected after the testing. There was one opposition and two abstentions; folks didn’t want to lose Jim as a helper.

Ramon will step up as a helper now.

Member-at-large nominations: Bakti Watts, Lorraine Tedrow, Lucinda O’Halloran, Leandra Hildreth, and Alexa Wichert. Leandra declined. Lorraine was unanimously elected.

Sherwin and Hadiyah agreed to continue in their non-elected positions as Treasurer and Sec’y.

Sophy and Leandra Hildreth reported on their adventure at the Subud Youth gathering in Indonesia.

Respectfully submitted, Hadiyah Carlyle, Sec’y