From Annie Padilla, regarding the devastating fire on Monday, October 24, 2016 that destroyed their home and many others and took the lives of two people and their pet cat “Baby”:
Monthly Archives: October 2016
Latihan Schedule Changes!
Be aware, there will be NO Latihans the following dates:
Thursday, Nov 3
Saturday, Nov 4
Sunday, Nov 13
Consider attending the Eastside Friday night Latihan (see: https://www.subudgreaterseattle.com/latihan-schedule/)
and the Saturday, November 12 Latihan at the Seattle Subud House, quiet time 10:15. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Padilla Condo Destroyed by Fire
Longtime Subud members Annie and Evan Padilla are safe, but their condo has been destroyed in a fire which took the life of their cat Baby and two people Monday night. Annie sent this today:
Perhaps you should post something about our situation. Our condominium was destroyed by fire Monday night Oct 24th. Fire swept through the entire building. Two of our neighbors died. We are moving from the Red Lion Inn to Residents Inn on 114th in Bellevue today. Please keep us in your prayers. We lost everything.
Their condo complex was called: “The Chimneys.”
BELLEVUE, Wash. – Two of four people who were hospitalized after a fire at a Bellevue condominium have died.
Firefighters responded to a two-alarm fire near 100th and Main Street before 8 p.m. Monday.
Fire officials said four people were rescued from the fire and were being treated. Two people had smoke inhalation and burns and the other two people suffered more severe injuries.
KIRO 7 learned Tuesday that two of the victims had died at Harborview Medical Center.
Lynn Calvo, 76, was inside her second-floor condo when she heard what sounded like water running down the outside of the building. When she looked out the peep hole in her door, she saw smoke and flames.
She ran to her deck, but there was smoke and flames there, too. She grabbed her phone and called 911.
“911 said, ‘Stay on the phone with me. We have firefighters coming,’ and in about two minutes, they broke down the door, scooped her up and rushed her out of the unit,” said Gina Hasson, Calvo’s daughter. Hasson said her mother was treated for smoke inhalation and released from Overlake Medical Center. She got the call last night about the fire.
SGS General Meeting Oct 16, 2016
There was a good turnout and a lively discussion about the current operations and state of the Subud Greater Seattle community after Latihan, October 16, 2016. In addition to reports about the state of the House, the Centerprise, Finances and other aspects of SGS, Sebastian Tedrow, the Executive Director of Subud USA gave a report of what is happening with Subud USA:
Our new National Committee is Mary Wold chairperson Lucas Boladian vice Chair, and Rafiq Dossani treasurer. We do not have a secretary yet. Volunteers welcome.
We are still looking for a site for the 2017 National Gathering on the East Coast. We have tentative dates of June 30-July 4, 2017. It will be a kejiwaan/wings gathering not a business congress. I have been looking for a venue for some time but I am currently trying to narrow it down to either the Baltimore or Atlanta area after looking at a number of other possible sites which have proven either two small or two expensive. At the national congress a subcommittee was set up the help with determining future congress sites. It should help in the future. Currently we plan on having the 2018 National Congress on the West Coast on one side or the other of the 4th of July, because Ramadan will be during the Memorial Day weekend from 2017-2019. My current favorite is the Vancouver WA Hilton which we have used 3 time before.
It was related that Latihan for Sunday, November 13 was cancelled and all the minutes compiled with care by Hadiyah Carlyle are posted here:
Oct 9, 2016 Dewan Meeting
Your fearless local Dewan met yesterday and here’s but a snippet of the goodness they covered in their meeting:
Marston said the house is in good shape now. We’ve done some major repairs this year. He said that for 2017 we should have the siding looked at on the south side of the building where it is showing water damage. The upstairs floors need to be redone and insulating the house will save energy and make lodgers more comfortable in future heat events, which are expected to increase. He made a list of recently completed and potential future repairs.
We will be choosing a new committee at the end of January. Ramon asked Hadiyah to get phone numbers and emails of current women helpers. We would like both men and women to test the following:
What is my attitude toward SGS?
What should my attitude be?
Knowing what my attitude is how can I facilitate the growth of SGS?